Travel Log...

Travel Log...
London 2011

Friday, September 2, 2011

Here's To Those Who Do A Thankless Job....

There are a ton of people who do jobs every day that others take for granted. Those jobs are often tedious & boring.  Sometimes they really suck. I think about my sister in law who teaches special ed in a high school setting and has to change the diapers on some of her students. I think about Auburn who is in Afghanistan working 16 hour days without a day off or break just so folks back here can bitch.

I sit and watch people whine about their jobs. Complain about the fact they don't get a huge bonus or an extra five minutes of lunch. A huge crisis for them is if they can't cut out early to get to the bar or attend a concert.

I sit here now typing this after taking a quick break to refresh my brain. You see, some aspects of my job are tedious. Monotonous. Boring. Dull as all hell. Yet, they are SO important. 

Back when I was in Law Enforcement and worked my very first job with homicide, you know what I got tasked to do as the rookie? Photo line ups. Yup. Putting together a "six pack" (that's what we called the six photographs you use in a photo line up). You may roll your eyes and think, "What's so hard about THAT? Pull six pics and get on with it."  (Some of you younger folks may not realize this was, and still is in some places, done by hand with no computer). But it's not that easy. There are rules to putting together a GOOD photo line up that a defense attorney, jury and judge will all accept. If your subject is a black man, you can't put his picture in with five white men. If your subject wears glasses, all of them should wear glasses. You can't have a pic of someone sneering at the camera or making a face that calls attention to himself. The photos must be different but not so different that the person making the ID could be drawn to the subject by some odd thing that makes him stand out past the others. In short, it's a big deal to do it just right because if the subject is identified off a questionable six pack, the whole case could get thrown out and all charges dropped.

It meant a lot to me to do a good job. I didn't want it to be my fault an armed robber or a rapist got off free and clear because I did a sub par job on the six pack. And I did them well. The other detectives were so impressed they often asked me to do it because I had that slow steady patience and eye needed to do it right. None of my six packs were ever thrown out. Of that I am proud.

So....I sit here today. A long way and time from back with the department. All those years ago, I sat crossed legged on the threadbare carpet floor in the small closet that held the huge file cabinets full of mug shots. Now I have my OWN office. We have computers to help do things but some things are still done by hand. The old fashioned way. With patience and an eye to detail. Back then, a mistake might be disappointment to a few. But now, a mistake could mean life and death for many. I still take my job just as seriously. I am still very very proud of my work. It's different but still important. Although no one will ever probably know how or how much. But...I am okay with that. Because I am not alone.

So, here's a toast to all of those who also do a thankless job behind the scenes but still do it well and with pride and with care and attention.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment